the police need the riots

I guess the name speaks for its self.

the police need the riots

Postby Andrea on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I find it hilarious how media are placing the police and the rioters in opposition, when in fact, they are of immense help to each other. :roll:
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: the police need the riots

Postby Teiana on Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

i agree. also though, they're not really seeing the big picture, they said how well it had worked in london when they increased the police levels... but the unrest had spread to loads of other places...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby jim_lewis1 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 pm

given that the attitude and behaviour of the MET police is usually an antagonist in such situations I can hardly see more draconian measures and intensified policing working to placate matters.
Current OU study: A230
Studying towards: BA Humanities
Past OU Study: MBA (Tech Man), BEng/MEng (incl T214, T306) PG Dip EDM (incl T863, TU812), AA100, AXR272
(OU Systems courses)
jim_lewis1

Postby Neill on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Can some one explain to me what all this is really about?
Is the entire UK suddenly against something and the police are being used to uphold an unwanted regime - as in Syria?
Or are a few people taking advantage of a chance to cause chaos and being dealt with by the police in accordance with the laws of the UK?
Or what.

Confused
Neill
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

there has been a gradual pressure building up over here in all groups of people, at all levels, because of the economic climate, both here, and events abroad. That in itself isn't a problem, but it has created a situation much like a dry season in a forest... everything is like tinder, just waiting for a spark. Even people who are mostly of a mind to be law abiding and responsible citizens, are becoming worried about the point of it all, and the future. It seems there has been a lot of change and a lot of the way people expected things to be, perhaps now isn't true.. jobs, education, pensions, everything. And i think the cost of living, food and fuel here are both very expensive now, this is causing 'the man in the street' to be under pressure too.

So, in that environment, in a fairly poor area, some chap gets shot by the police. Under circumstances which i believe are still being investigated, but it looks to me at the moment like, they thought he was a threat to them, and they shot him, but it seems he hadn't fired at them. Anyway: he died, and some members of his community started a peaceful march up the high street, in complaint of the behaviour of the police. But because of the power of social networking and communication, and the tinderbox of unease they were marching through, 'rioters' joined in, and started attacking things, and then one thing just led to another. Once the forest fire had been lit, it just kept going. It was a bit like a pressure valve letting off steam.. 'scuse the metaphors.

the government over here are percieved by many as weak, and the coalition have rather compromised on a lot of the ideals they were elected under: so there's a big sense of disillusionment with the 'powers that be'. The police are caught in the middle... their budgets are being threatened by government cuts, but, at the same time, when they don't go in in enough strength, they are accused of not doing enough. They're not 'upholding an unwanted regime', they're just trying to be normal policepeople, and prevent criminal damage. The damage is caused by government perceived failures and weaknesses, and the general state of the country, and a group of people who think those things can be changed by causing a scene, who think it is a legitimate protest to set fire to things. Also, i imagine some of the rioters are just drunk or stoned or whatever, and going along with the action, and others who just don't care.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:42 pm

plus we had a bit of bother in the past with the police behaving badly in a crowd control situation, someone died who got pushed over, anyway, things like that add to an atmosphere that the police aren't on our side...i think some groups of society see the police as a threat rather than as working to protect them. I think the police could be doing a lot better than they are, but then, everything could.. and as the budgets get eroded and that has an effect on the quality of the services we get.. well, everything just gets a bit worse.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:08 pm

The police watchdog has admitted it may have misled journalists into believing police shooting victim Mark Duggan fired at officers before he was killed.

Mr Duggan, 29, was shot by officers last Thursday in Tottenham.

His death sparked the initial riots in London which were followed by disorder in other English cities.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission later released a statement to make it clear that Mr Duggan did not fire a gun at police.

Ballistic tests found that a bullet which lodged itself in one officer's radio was police issue. from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14510329
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm

One recurring theme with all these uprisings/riots, wherever they've occurred, has been the use of social networking media -- it both helped to amplify the situation and organise people (whether they were looters or participating in the cleanup action afterwards). I'm finding this "swarming" behaviour fascinating. Kevin Kelly described it so wonderfully in this aptly named book "Out Of Control" ( http://www.kk.org/books/out-of-control.php ). It really does seem to me that formal organisations are losing their grip of society - they're becoming less and less relevant. It's even arguable on whether it was the police that stopped the riots, or the sudden surge in vigilante action -- once again, organised by social media.

we are the government.JPG
we are the government.JPG (39.05 KiB) Viewed 909 times
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Teiana on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:00 pm

i don't want to be the government! life is complicated enough already!!
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoFak7MRBJw

Darcus Howe: "I don't call it rioting, I call it an insurrection...of the masses of the people. It is happening in Syria, it is happening in Clapham, it's happening in Liverpool, it's happening in Port-au-Spain, Trinidad, and that is the nature of the historical moment."

fascinating contrast in perspective between an elder black man from one of the communities affected, and a white female journalist (very much pushing the agenda of a particular political group).
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Next

Return to Systems in the news