The Matrix

I guess the name speaks for its self.

Re: The Matrix

Postby Teiana on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... grade.html link to new scientist article but it requires a sign in.

there's an article in this weeks new scientist about computer artificial intelligence marking students work. apparently the students do quite well out of it, because the machines can mark so fast, the students can submit and resubmit til they get it right...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/roger ... voice.html

here's someone relying on algorithms, i guess...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Andrea on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:16 pm

I was reading an article today on how some clever geek developed an algorithm for cutting boarding time on aeroplanes by half (thus potentially saving airlines millions). The boarding sequence dictated by this algorithm is not instantly familiar and is quite complex (I won't bore people with the details). A computer will be instructing people how to board. These people will need to learn to obey (and trust in) the computer's instructions.

I can see how increasingly sophisticated algorithms will be used to direct our everyday lives. Just like in-car sat-navs are now directing us in our journeys, computerised bio-monitors will tell us when to wake up, what to eat, how to work, when to exercise, and when to go to sleep (and if you can't get to sleep as instructed, what sleeping pill to take). Of course, the aim will be to make us lead happy, healthy and fulfilling lives. As greater and greater proportions of people turn to online dating, algorithms may be developed to speed up the matching process. I sometimes wonder whether a future matching algorithm would ever put together a white Italian male with an Indian female of totally different backgrounds?

It's also obvious that all of these "apps" will be collecting personal information and uploading this for analysis, so algorithms can be further optimised in order to deliver the set objectives more efficiently. Just like financial mismanagement may result in you getting a bad credit rating, you not following the dictates of the various algorithms may mean that you're "downgraded": no job; no credit; no partner; and if you have children, they could be taken away from you.

What I'm curious about is, who decides what the ultimate aim of the algorithmic Matrix should be? Who will control the "big picture" program? Who will ultimately determines how the algorithms should be developed? Maybe somebody will write an algorithm for this.... ;)
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Postby Neill on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm

utting boarding time on aeroplanes by half

At last. Something REALLY useful.
:-)

It takes ages to board a huge aeroplane. I honestly think that this is something great.
Maybe there is something wrong with me?
Or maybe it is just knowing that I will be boarding six planes in the coming month.

Until now people have tried to sort this problem out themselves.
Originally on paper, then with slide rules, then with calculators and now with computers.
What is the problem? Using computers or people trying to achieve a better time for boarding?

If some one sat down and worked out the ultimate solution in their head and shouted instructions through a megaphone, would that be more acceptable than an "algorithm"?
Neill Hogarth
Life is not a practice [www.hogarth.de]
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:56 am

i read that, i thought
1) the solution is pretty simple really
and
2) it will never work, because, people will never believe that it will. instead they will behave selfishly.

We could cut traffic hold-ups on roads massively, if people would drive while thinking about the big traffic picture and not just the dials on the dashboard of their own car. Most people don't though, and that causes problems that don't need to be there. Solution? we'd either need a massive increase in road police - control people's moves that way - or, lots of increased signage and hope people pay attention to it (they don't) or, perhaps algorithms in computers in cars such that the dashboard dials tell you about the bigger picture.. (way too complicated to bring in. i have lost a word i am looking for here, i think my brain's going).

unless perhaps somehow we teach people to understand to see the bigger picture, before they even go near a car?
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 am

the problem with cutting boarding times is it might increase the number of planes they can put on ( i doubt they will use the saved time to increase safety margins!) and that will destroy the environment! i have no idea how anyone lives with themselves taking 6 planes - i have probably only taken about 8 planes in my whole life.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 am

I sometimes wonder whether a future matching algorithm would ever put together a white Italian male with an Indian female of totally different backgrounds?

comes down to purpose doesn't it. would a 'future matching algorithm' work like 'parents' ? there are still lots of arranged marriages, or people marrying for status. And then, just how much detail would we be prepared to tell a computer anyway. Or scarily, how much would they be able to store and find out regardless of our wishes?

beep.. beep.. future_matching_algorithm initiated..beep...
we have selected from the following purposes on your behalf...
purpose_A...marriage to make the parents of the bride happy
purpose_B...marriage to make the parents of the groom happy..
purpose_C...marriage so that the bride is able to raise her social status
purpose_D... marriage for child-bearing of children with size 7 feet..
purpose_E...marriage for a visa
purpose_F...marriage for compatible hobbies..

beep...beep..

etc

since everyone has a different idea of what love is, i can't see marrying for love being able to be in the equation. They could just chemically apply that afterwards.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Neill on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 am

i have no idea how anyone lives with themselves taking 6 planes

It looks like it just increased to eight - the road in to the Rupununi is apparently still out from all the flooding in the wet season.
I am visiting Annai and Yupukari (both in the Rupununi area of Guyana) so how do you suggest I get there.
Limiting factor is that I only have 3 weeks so sailing is out (although the last three hours will probably be with a canoe.
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Neill on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 am

I was watching the washing machine yesterday and suddenly realized that the the algorithm has taken over.
I selected a program and the machine did something which made clean clothes.
Following the "matrix is bad" logic being suggested here, I briefly felt bad that I was letting an algorithm do my washing but then decided I felt less bad than when a Nepalese women did it for me in Dubai.
And the phone just rang (although I ignored it) and an algorithm converted the number to my apparatus. Should I be feeling bad about this.

Sorry :-)
Just taking a break from correcting a 80 page thesis about culture and engineering.
Neill Hogarth
T307-10
Neill

Postby Teiana on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:12 am

i don't think it's so much the algorithm diverting the phone call, as, what if, the algorithm had noticed the number, looked up a list of previous responses you had made to it from recordings it had made, then created a message to deliver, answered the call on your behalf without telling you, and delivered a composite recorded message using your voice..then not even bothered to let you know the phone had even rung.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

PreviousNext

Return to Systems in the news