Small. The New Big

I guess the name speaks for its self.

Small. The New Big

Postby Andrea on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 am

A shameless plug on the new Triodos campaign video: http://www.triodos.co.uk/en/personal/sm ... lthenewbig

But as I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about the banking system while still holding accounts with the big six, I thought I should raise my head above the parapet and do something.

Back in 2008 Neill insisted on me taking the economy seriously, so I have read books, started a diploma in social enterprise and become involved with a number of enterprises locally and globally.

I'm still convinced that there is something quite rotten in the current economic system, but can also see how there are enterprises that can heal it.

Triodos is one of them.

SMALL. THE NEW BIG

Big is broken - at least when it comes to banking. Five years have passed since the start of the financial crisis, but there's no end to the banking scandals. And we're all still living with the consequences of a failed financial system.

There's a lot of talk about what's gone wrong, but little about what practical steps are needed to change the system for good. We believe we've demonstrated that another way isn't just possible, but can flourish - helping to build a, smaller-scale, healthier and more sustainable economy in the process.

As a Triodos Bank supporter, you're part of a community who've chosen to use their money for good. We think there's never been a better opportunity to grow our community. But we need your help to do it.

'Small. The new big' is our new short film. It calls upon the nation's savers to put their money where their mouth is to help shape a fairer and more sustainable banking system. Unlike big bank promotional campaigns, you won't find this film on television, or adverts on billboards. And that's where you can help.

One small step you can take is to watch the film. It takes less than a couple of minutes. And if you like what you see, please share it with anyone who you think may be interested. It's a small step that could lead to something big.

Thank you. Together we can change the world for the better. Together we can make small the new big.
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: Small. The New Big

Postby rutty on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 am

Interesting. I'm with a subsidiary of one of the big banks and have been generally happy with my experience of them, but like many people have been utterly appalled at the actions of the major banks. I'd be happy to support something that's more ethical. I'll be sure to give the video a watch/spread it on social networks etc
rutty

Postby Teiana on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:57 am

mostly i am happiest when my money is in my pockets.

twice recently attempting to pay cash for things has caused alarm/consternation in the recipient. Amusingly so in a major electrical store where the salesman panicked at the idea of having to give change and promptly discounted my bill to get to the nearest round number of £5's.... only then to find on opening the till he didn't have £5 anyway so i still had to wait while he asked around the store for someone to go fetch some change. I had some in my bag, mind, but didn't volunteer that information since they didn't ask.
anyway apart from the inconvenience of the delay i was amused since i got a CD storage wallet (originally £5.99, reduced in sale to £2.99) for about 35p.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Teiana on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

i watched a television program the other day about some chap called Dave who has set up his own bank. It was interesting but i didn't really feel as if it solved the problem: i felt as if he was just on the way to becoming one of them. It was odd how readily people were queuing up to give him money though. He made about 61,000 in a matter of a few hours. i do think the whole issue of banking should be completely transparent though. If i give my money to a bank i expect them to put it somewhere safe. Preferably in a deep safe, guarded by fierce dogs and mythical creatures. I'd like them to write on it that it is my money (nobody else's) and then keep watch over it. I don't think they should be just giving it away to people when it's not even theirs. Too many people are borrowing money they have no possibility of paying back. People should save up and then spend, not just have this modern grab, grab, grab society. Loans should be secure and taken out as a last resort, when there is really no choice. These days people are advertising loans all over the place and the mindset seems to be just take money that isn't yours whenever you like.. people are spending next months money last month...
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Return to Systems in the news