The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity, and the Renewal

A place to recommend and discuss books that contribute towards our systems thinking and practice

The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity, and the Renewal

Postby jamesWtc on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:59 pm

llamagirl recommended this book and I found it in Andrea's reading list too...

I have just finished the first 2 chapters, so far very good! I suppose to be reading T306, but I had insomnia the other night and I cracked open the book, and it kept me awake till 5 am in the morning... :)

I like the book as it's not so much eco-preaching (maybe not yet?) and the future is more optimistic [edited:](at least we still have hope). :)
jamesWtc

Re: The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity, and the Renewal

Postby Andrea on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:27 pm

The beginning stuff on the energetics of the Roman Empire, especially the construction of the Coliseum was absolutely mind blowing -- I never thought energy physics would be so riveting to read!

I also couldn't put it down and polished it off very quickly -- but remained buzzing for months after reading it :mrgreen:

And you're right -- there is very little eco-preaching in it -- mostly very practical and inspiring ideas :D
esse sequitur operari
Andrea

Re: The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity, and the Renewal

Postby llamagirl on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:46 am

jamesWtc wrote:llamagirl recommended this book

Sorry, I can't take credit for recommending this one! But it sounds like a good read. If I ever get through my current backlog of reading material I'll add it to my list :)
llamagirl

Return to Book Club