Chamovitz, D., (2012) What a plant knows

A place to recommend and discuss books that contribute towards our systems thinking and practice

Chamovitz, D., (2012) What a plant knows

Postby Teiana on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 pm

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... s/8917737/

What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses of Your Garden (and Beyond)

yeah, it's not a 'systems book'. But it is, sort of, in my head...

In What a Plant Knows, 'renowned biologist' (waterstones description) Daniel Chamovitz talks about what plants see, hear, feel and remember... of course he acknowledges that using these terms is just a way of making them make sense in human terms, he doesn't actually think plants have brains or eyes...

i enjoyed reading this book.

it might just change the way you feel about gardening!
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Re: Chamovitz, D., (2012) What a plant knows

Postby Dave H on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 am

I have been thinking about buying this book but was very undecided about it. I have read a lot of the reviews but I still had some doubts. Now after reading your comments I will be buying it.

I am not convinced by your views that it is not a systems book as if the plant is reacting to its environment then it is forming a system (or should it be network). Also if one plant is attacked it sends out chemical signals to other plants which then produce tannin to make them more bitter and less likely to be attacked – this seems like a good example of feedback.

I wonder if plants having senses means that pants are intelligent in some way and should it change our views on consciousness.
Dave H

Postby Teiana on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:46 am

yeah i only said it's not a 'systems book' because as i see it there may be people reading this book club list who are specifically looking for books where systems stuff is explicitly discussed: so i think it's fair to try and make them easy to find. Subject wise this is more for people who are interested in plants than systems (although obviously many people are both) - this isn't a 'must read' in terms of increasing systems understanding.
I felt it was readable, and that the author had pitched it right (for me, as a reader) between the science and the ideas: i feel as if he had the right approach.
H.R.H. 8-)
Teiana

Postby Dave H on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 am

I accept your point that it is not a systems book and I like your justification. I am not a plants person but I am fascinated by them. I also feel that they are very misunderstood and I hope this book might provide some balance.

Thanks for the additional comments regarding the book.
Dave H

Return to Book Club